August 05, 2009

Introduction

Hello friends,

I'm writing this first post to introduce myself as - dare I say it? - a new quenchista. I also have a nascent personal blog but am very excited to be joining quench, blog re:all things near and dear to me. I am a current Harvard senior, although perhaps taking time off in the fall (!) before finishing up my concentration in the Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality (mostly the latter two).

This summer, I'm working at a fabulous, tiny organization that focuses on the rights and life chances of transgender, transsexual, and genderqueer people. I'm working on a range of projects, including support for the youth committee and creating youth-related resources, creating and kicking off a sustainable development plan, and serving on a committee dedicated to rewriting the organization's "Trans 101" workshop curriculum. My other past work experience is also in non-profit settings, and I hope to pursue a career doing community organizing and youth development work with trans and queer young people.

I think a lot about gender, including trans and sometimes intersex issues, and my other interests include (female, queer, and trans) sexuality, feminist praxis, and making room in academic work for activist and activist approaches. But I'm fun too! I'm a huge Red Sox fan, an aspiring foodie, and my most recent obsession is with my burgeoning collection of Nike kicks (picture to follow).

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and I promise a real first post soon! Happy summer.

e

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome!