Got 2 minutes and a computer or cell phone?
If you or your friends/family are from Maine or Massachusetts, please take action on two quick items today:
1. Support transgender nondiscrimination bill in MA:
- Despite having legalized same-sex marriage, Massachusetts still has no state-wide laws protecting transgender people.
- You can help to change that. "An Act Relative to Gender-Based Discrimination and Hate Crimes" is being re-introduced for the 2009 legislative session
- Call your reps today and ask them to support the bill (calling script available at the link). You can also write to them and sign up to volunteer.
- Save the date for a transgender lobby day at the MA Statehouse: Tuesday, April 7, 10 am -1pm!
- If you're from Maine or know someone who is, please take 30 seconds to email your legislators urging them to support the same-sex marriage bill, which will go to hearing in April.
- Even better, call them. When I called my state representative and a senator, they both answered the phone themselves. Maine is a small state and your reps are accessible and want to hear from their constituents. Be prepared with what you want to say, because you might end up talking to them directly!
- Focus on the Family and their buddies have already started a campaign and set up a creepy website opposing the bill. So, show your support! Thank you.