June 13, 2008

ShakesSis' Racism-Sexism Watch Update

Yeah, so here I was, reading my usual blogs, when I ran into this. (Shakesville 12 Jun 2008). To quote Michelle Obama Watch,

The exhibit included a picture of Barack Obama’s “Audacity of Hope” switched to “The Audacity of Black Hope”, a giant penis on the wall next to a sign saying “once you go Barack,” hanging nooses, and this picture of Sasha and Malia Obama.

The picture in question:

I'm pretty sure I don't have words. I defer to Shakesville's response, as it has passed the incoherence point and entered pointed sharp words. (I'm still at "Emily SMASH!")

1 comment:

daftgiraffe said...

yeah, i saw this on feministing. at first i thought it was, i dunno, satirical or ironic or something, and then i saw the big black penis. and "The Audacity of Black Hope." i guess i'm offended? I mostly just find it really confusing. I mean, it's clearly racist, or at least about racism, however incoherently, but i am really not getting any sort of pertinent message from the work other than ZOMG OBAMA IS BLACK.