April 15, 2008

It's tax day - who paid their taxes?

I sure didn't.


Nope. Well, I filed - a month ago - but I got a refund. Thirty-seven whole dollars, to be precise. (Ahh, the glamorous, high-rolling life of a grad student!) I apparently didn't make enough money to qualify for the economic stimulus check, either, which was a bit counterintuitive. Apparently, giving money to people who make less money ... doesn't stimulate the economy? I don't know. I'm not even trying to guess on this one.

But guess who did pay somewhere around $9 billion in taxes this year? Illegal immigrants. Yup - those worthless drains on society who take, take, take, and never give back. (How, exactly, they're taking from the social programs they pay for and can't use ... well, I'll admit, I'm a bit mystified there, too.)

In fact - an intriguing bit of data here:

The Social Security Administration estimates that about three-quarters of illegal workers pay taxes that contribute to the overall solvency of Social Security and Medicare.

Fancy that. We may not be able to afford to build that Big Bad Border Barrier - how can we fund Social Security without all these people paying into it and never drawing out? Now that is a Thing That Is Awkward.

(Kind of reminds me of all the queers who can't get survivors' benefits even after their partners pay into Social Security for their entire working lives. But, hey - apparently, we're not the only ones this system is screwing.)

No comments: