December 13, 2007

On faith in people

Sometimes I get kind of cynical about things. I can feel hopeless sometimes, when I see the amount of inequality in the world, and start to think people don't care.

But then, they change my mind.

I volunteer at a food bank for people living with AIDS. This holiday season, we are very low on donations. We're out of basic food like rice and pasta. So, I sent an email to my co-workers. I didn't think it would do much. When I got to work the next day, my desk was covered in cans. And boxes. And bags of rice. Over the week, co-workers would bring by a few items every day - peanut butter, crackers, tuna. They remembered and they kept bringing food.

I then decided to put up a sign in the elevator in my apartment building. I explained the food shortage and told people they could leave donations with me. When I got home from work that day, I was so tired and had totally forgotten about the signs. I got off the elevator, and stopped. My door was totally blocked by bags of groceries. People had gone to Safeway and bought pasta, had donated canned beans and had tidily left them all outside my door, trusting me to deliver the food to people who badly need it.

Then, yesterday, I signed the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition up for a Facebook "cause" and asked people to give. In less than 24 hours, we had raised $450 for MTPC (and counting) and are now in the running for a $10,000 award in February (if we keep it up).

I just want to say thank you. Thank you for thoughtfully and generously responding to posts and emails, for reading a sign in the elevator, for donating some canned fruit to a person in need.

All I want for Christmukkah is all of you. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should take pictures of the stuff you got if you still have it.

People are great sometimes.

WTTO