November 11, 2007

Every day is Love Your Body Day

Well, technically, only October 17th is. At least, that's the day that NOW has designated as a national day of celebration of our bodies exactly as they are. But things on college campuses don't always obey the rules of real-world time; and so it was that, going to the bathroom on campus this evening, I saw a poster for Love Your Body Day still hanging in one of the stalls.

It was simple in design: just "Love Your Body," followed by a Mae West quote defining curves as "the loveliest distance between two points," followed by the question: "What do you love about your body?"

The extraordinary thing wasn't the design at all. It was the graffiti. One person had written in thick black marker: my eyes! Another had scribbled: skin, definitely.

And I got to wondering - what would the Quenchfolk answer? Liberated Body-Positive Feminists though we may be, we don't all love every aspect of our bodies unconditionally. (See here, here, here, and here - not to mention here and here - for a surface-scratching look at our body issues!) But here's a challenge: answer the question.


What do you love about your body?


Ready? Go.

7 comments:

maudite entendante said...

By the way - my breasts and my lips. Definitely.

Anonymous said...

my stretched earlobes. definitely.

emily0 said...

MY BOOBIES!

I <3 my boobies. Every day, I wake up and grab them firm but gentle like I'm sizing up two fruits and think, "HOLY SHIT, I HAVE BREASTS WOO WOO!"

No, really. I'm not being ironic. I <3 my breasts.

Of course, I <3 *YOUR* breasts, too. I'm an equal-opportunity breast lover.

emily0 said...

Also, my previous comment was meant to be snarky but maybe it was out of line given that it might make people discomfy about their bodies.

Sorry. I'm a letch and sometimes mes boules think for me.

That's right, my tits. My tits are sex monsters. Deal with it.

maudite entendante said...

Nah, I'm not offended. Glad to know you like 'em. (You *did* mean *mine,* right?) ;c)

aurora said...

I <3 my boobs, too! They're big enough to be BOOBS but small enough to not get in the way. And I can get away without wearing a bra. It's kinda awesome.

I also like my eyes. And my hair.

icarus said...

i like my eyes, my tummy (when i'm in shape) and usually my hair.