September 13, 2007

White Excuses



A word from the "artist," a cartoonist at UVA.
“I was not trying to trivialize famine,” the 22-year-old said. “When you have a food fight, you fight with food. This cartoon brings you to the realization that there’s a famine . . . and in general, people give very little thought to starving people in other countries. But I will admit that I really lacked the foresight in anticipating the reaction. I should have thought that they were going to think I was portraying Africans as savage and misshapen.”
I'm not sure I've heard the "raising awareness" excuse in quite this way before. Keep following what goes on with this story here.

What's the stupidest excuse for something offensive you've heard?

(For more examples of things that are awkward, see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here).

3 comments:

icarus said...

awk. awk.

Anonymous said...

"What? It's true."

emily2 said...

honestly, that portrayal looks like a bunch of bald caucasian monks wearing jockstraps beating each other with household items and sticks.

i would have subtitled it "vatican panty raid" instead.