June 26, 2007

Cross-Dresser Running for Major Office in Pakistan

Thanks to al-Fatiha for this heads-up. It seems that since the popular television talk show of "Begum Nawazish Ali" (Mrs. Nawazish Ali), a.k.a. the actor Mr. Ali Saleem, was pulled for scathing political commentary of the government of Pakistan, Ali has gotten annoyed.

And decided to take his political fight to the bloody arena for political office.

That's right, Ali's running for office, but in the form best known to Pakistan - Begum Nawazish Ali.

Musharraf, go die and spin in your grave. Don't step with no trannies, biotch.

NDTV India, 17 June 2007
TV show host enters political fray
By Yusra Askari

Sunday, June 17, 2007 (Islamabad)

Elections in Pakistan this year promise to be a showdown between the two exiled former prime ministers and the man in charge President General Pervez Musharraf.

However, part of the ever-changing political scenario is Ali Saleem or Begum Nawazish Ali, who is an candidate with a difference.

The popular cross-dressing television talk show host earlier this year announced his intentions to contest the next general election.

“For as long as I can remember, when I was a child, actually it was my childhood dream to become the Prime Minister of Pakistan. I remember when I was younger, my mother would be on my case saying, Ali you have become a doctor and my dad wanted me to be a lawyer.”

“I became an actor because I wanted to be an actor. I am basically trying to follow all my childhood dreams. I want to go into politics because I want to be the PM of Pakistan,” said Begum Nawazish Ali, TV Show Host.

A nonconformist in conservative Pakistan, Ali's reasons to enter politics are simple.

“Basically I am an idealist, I have certain beliefs which I hold very, very dear to myself. I think we live in a country where we have so many problems, so many issues.”

“You know at every level we have problems and issues and people are extremely unhappy, and I just want to make people happy. I really want to make people happy and give back to my country.”

“I feel it is very important to motivate young educated Pakistanis to come up and take more interest in what happens to their country.”

“It is about my taking this decision and quite honestly it is not about winning or losing; become Prime Minister or not, becoming an MNA or not, the point is actually to inspire others, to motivate others to start participating in deciding their own fate really,” said Begum Nawazish Ali, TV Show Host.

Political affiliations

With regard to his inclinations towards political parties, Ali is rather clear that he supports the PPP but adds that he isn't necessarily going to be affiliated with it.

“I have been quite a staunch supporter of the PPP because I look back at the history of Pakistan, I think this is one party that has always stood for principles. This is one party that has consistently fought against the establishment.”

“So I support the PPP, but I am not necessarily going to be affiliated with any party. I'd like to contest as an independent candidate. I'd like to run my election campaign as an independent candidate, as Ali Saleem as a Pakistani, as an actor, as the person.”

“In case, I do get elected and the situation does arise, I would definitely support the PPP,” said Begum Nawazish Ali, TV Show Host.

By running for political office, Ali hopes to break barriers and preconceived notions of gender, identity, celebrity and politics, but what city does he want to contest from?

I had a very bizarre idea that I would file my nomination papers from all the major cities of Pakistan, that is, Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Quetta and Peshawer.”

“But then I thought it would be too much work and that I'll be dividing my attention to many places and I wont be as focused. Islamabad is my hometown and it's a decent city, so I thought either that or Karachi.

“But only one thing scares me about Karachi and that is that the politics here can be a little dirt. Most likely the city I choose will be Islamabad,” said d Begum Nawazish Ali, TV Show Host.

Contesting from either Islamabad or Karachi, canvassing as himself or as the sari-clad, mascara-wearing Begum, Ali Saleem's election campaign truly promises to add color to this year's electoral process.

You go, girl.

No comments: