March 21, 2007

Imagine me ringing a bell, dressed in a Santa suit...

Or at least dressed up as a naughty elf.

My friend Bear Bergman, whom many of you know is a trans/queer storyteller and educator, is raising money for hir scholarship fund. The fund allows Bear to travel to communities and colleges where hir work is most necessary: you know, the ones that don't have a designated budget for inviting queer speakers to campus.

When I was Miss Professional Queer here at my university, I helped scraped together the money it took to hire Bear to speak. We got grants from Hillel, from Student Government, and of course from the Big Queer Office that was also paying me. It was hard, but it was worth it - so many people have come up to me and the other organizers since then to thank us for helping open their eyes to trans/queer issues. And I've got to say, this is a pretty idyllic place to be queer: people are ignorant, but in that very benign "ooh, more to learn!" way. Heck, we're queer-positive enough that I had a job as Professional Queer and a Big Queer Budget to draw on.

And it was still hard to pull it all together. And it was still worth it.

How much harder is it, and how much more worth it, for places that aren't as well-off and queer-positive as my school?

Ah, well. I could go on and on, but Bear says it all better. Please take a sec to hop over there and consider making a donation to plump up the scholarship fund a little. Your queer peers thank you. *smile*

No comments: