November 19, 2006

Transgender Day of Remembrance.

Tomorrow is Transgender Day of Remembrance.

In Boston, the event and town-hall style gathering will be held at the Arlington Street Church (corner of Boylston and Arlington), tonight, from 7-9pm, with a candlelight vigil afterwards. If you are able, please come and show your solidarity.
The MTPC website has more details and the locations of other similar TDOR ceremonies in Massachusetts.
[Also, wtto tells us that the Boston TDOR will premier a video interview with Rita Hester's mother, Kathleen Hester, after her daughter's death.]

Over one person a month is murdered because of their gender identity/expression.

Here are the biographies of some of those we have lost in the past year.

The list of past deaths is available at http://www.rememberingourdead.org, which contains those deaths known to the transgender community or that have been reported to the media.
If you are able, attend a TDOR event in your area (or help to put one on). Let us all work to show our solidarity with trans communities, and stand against violence and hatred.

This is a song written by trans activist and host of GenderTalk radio, Nancy Nangeroni, in memory of Rita Hester, whose 1998 murder led to the first Trans Day of Remembrance events:

In Memory of Rita Hester

Skating late last night
I retraced the vigil path
Found two candles burning on Rita's step
So I added one more
and wondered how it felt
to feel the knife strike so close to home.

They called her a man
Called her a transvestite
They said she lived a double life
But we know better
We know the truth
We know why Rita died.

I still hear your mama's cries
Haunting the canyons of my mind
You were just too much girl
For somebody else's world

I gazed into the windows
of the bar where you were last seen
I searched each patron's eyes for signs of guilt
I heard again your mama cry
"Who took away my child?"
echoing off canyon walls of brick and steel

I still hear your mama's cries
Haunting the canyons of my mind
You were just too much girl
For somebody else's world

I still hear your mama's cries
Haunting the canyons of my mind
You were just too much girl
For somebody else's world

No comments: