May 29, 2006

The Country's Youngest Transgender Child?

"Nicole's 10-year-old sister, Angela, explains that for a while, having her younger brother turn into a younger sister was difficult.

'When I was younger, I thought that it was just a stage,' she says. But now the most annoying part is that Nicole steals Angela's clothes. 'But I guess that's what having a sister is like, because I've never had a sister.'

As for Nicole's interactions with the outside world, Angela is used to answering questions.

'It's kind of strange,' she says, 'because my friends always call it a he, and I'm like, 'No, it's a she,' and it's kind of hard. Everyone always goes up to me and goes, 'That's a boy, right?' and I go, 'No, it's my sister,' and they go, 'Oh.''"

My friend Julia recently published this article about a transgender child in Florida. The title of the article is a little heavy-handed, but on the whole I think the piece is interesting and sensitively done.

2 comments:

Fox Girl said...

I am new to the site and I really enjoyed that article. thanks for posting it up. I think I will have to visit often.

the spinster said...

Glad you stopped by, fox girl. Welcome.