May 07, 2006

Bear, bluestockings, and BDSM

Two funny stories from this past week:

- I was tabling for an upcoming performance of S. Bear Bergman's "Clearly Marked." Part of this tabling involved making nametag labels like "GEEK," "GLITTERFAG," "WANTS TO BE A PRIEST," etc. I also had a bunch of blank tags available so people could make their own.

A friend stopped by as I was talking to a girl I didn't know very well. My friend browsed through the labels I'd already set out, and, as she's a very kinky bottom girl, I grinningly picked out the label marked "HEAVY TOP" and waved it at her, saying, "too bad I don't have the counterpart for some of these."

The girl I didn't know lit up with a bright, totally innocent smile and said, "I know what the opposite of that one is! It would be PEAR-SHAPED!"

::blink::

Yeah, we weren't going to disillusion her. She made herself a label that said "BLUESTOCKING." I'm certainly not one to challenge the way she self-identifies...

- In related news, the girl I was co-tabling with told us the story of the day she learned what "BDSM" meant. Apparently, she had joined a friend at a burlesque show. Thinking she'd dress up a little for the event, she put on a fishnet dress and a collar. This of course garnered comments along the line of, "whose are you?" and "whom do I have to ask if I want to play with you later?" She was completely confused.

Then, a forty-something couple came over and invited her to a BDSM event they were hosting later that month. She declined, not because she had any idea at that point what the term meant (she had to ask someone later), but because, as she put it, "anything a couple might ask me to do while I was wearing that outfit, it couldn't be good."


Oh, my. Someone (not queer) who didn't know the kinky meaning of "top" and someone else (queer) who until recently didn't even know what "BDSM" meant. Corset and heels obsessions aside, I'd always considered myself to be among the more innocent people in any given groups. When did I become the Repository of Carnality??

No comments: