March 20, 2006

what do people think?

At risk of being that kid who always has his nose in a book, I've been thinking about something for a long time.

Leslie Feinberg, in Trans Liberation, writes this:

Please feel free to refer to me as "he" in this transgender setting, since in doing so, you are honoring my gender expression. Outside the trans communities, many people refer to me as "she," which is also correct. Using that pronoun to describe me challenges generalizations about how "all women" act and express themselves. In a non-trans setting, calling me "he" renders my transgender invisible.
Does this resonate with anyone? What do people think?

3 comments:

narcissusfemme said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
narcissusfemme said...

She (I'm saying she because when I saw her speak she expressly asked for this pronoun) reiterated this last week when I saw her at Wellesley.

My only thought is that maybe that would be damn confusing for some people... I know I have a hard enough time keeping up with my friends' pronouns, and they're generally just trying to get me to use one set I'm not used to, not a variety.

wannatakethisoutside said...

It's sort of part of that whole question of what being openly complicated does.

Is it good to be confusing because it points out to people that certain things are silly distinctions?

Or does being confusing irritate people enough that it's not worth it and better to be less confusing?