March 19, 2006

Binaries are so simple

I was doing the reading for my government class, and I learned some very interesting facts about binaries. The article was an excerpt from Herbert Asher's book "Polling and the Public: What Every Citizen Should Know". In a discussion of how subcategories can be useful for polls done to gauge public opinion, I read:

"In many instances the categories used for creating subgroups are already established or self-evident. For example, if one is interested in gender or racial differences, the categories of male and female or white and black are straightforward candidates for investigation. Other breakdowns require more thought. For example, what divisions might one use to examine the effects of age? ..."
So apparently male/female is simple and straightforward. It is the perfect way to understand statistical information. I guess if you don't fit in that binary, you're a statistical outlier? And similarly, what about race? Apparently white and black is very clear. I hope I don't need to explain why this is so obviously horrendous...

In the meantime, sending my love to Canada...

1 comment:

aurora said...

I'm not white or black. Also, I don't have a brain since it exploded when I read that passage.

zhtirkp: the sound my brain makes when it explodes