January 23, 2006

Putting The "M" in Patriot

Check out this new article by Cindy Sheehan, the antiwar activist who camped out in Crawford, Texas to confront President Bush about Iraq. I'd be curious to hear what people think about it. At first glance, the article seem to invoke a reductive, binary logic of gender whereby women nurture and men blow things up. Yawn. How Mansfield. On the other hand, a number of articles that I've read over the past year have convinced me that there is room for an explicitly feminist critique of the ways in which patriarchy and militarism are interarticulated.

Sorry, I know that sentence was ridiculous, but you know what I mean. How many zillions of dollars did our government squander in a "whose dick/missile is bigger" contest with the Soviet Union? I think Sheehan's concept of matriotism has the potential to open up questions like this without defining the alternative to patriarchal militarism in heterocentric, trans-exclusive terms. Good thing Quench is around to keep her honest.

No comments: