January 05, 2006

An article about Barbie I thought I'd never see

Warning: This Toy may cause "gender confusion".

There's an article titled Barbie 'Promotes Gender Confusion' Conservative Group Claims at 365gay.com which is something I thought I'd never read. It has some choice quotes in it from Concerned Women for America.

Let me show you some of the writing.

There's this sentence:

"It’s the idea that well, maybe people aren’t born a particular biological sex, or they are but that shouldn’t determine their gender identity," said Bob Knight, the director of CWA's Culture & Family Institute.
I read that and I was like, okay... this sounds pretty good.

But then I read the next sentence:

"And that’s a very big component of the homosexual activist agenda now."
Hey Mr. Knight - just FYI, most of the "homosexual agenda" hates us trans people just as much as you do. So that seems wrong. Unless we're all one person or something.

Then check out his next sentence:

"In other words, any kid who’s not sure about who he is, he’s fair game to try to persuade to have same sex acts," said Knight.
Actually, I didn't think anyone was persuading children to "have same sex acts." First of all, we're talking about gender here. Second of all, we're talking about 4 year olds. The only person I'm trying to have same-sex acts with is my boyfriend and he's a 20-something and does not play with Barbie. (See, some of us on the left think that Barbie actually helps enforce traditional gender roles. I know it may seem strange to you.)
Okay, that's enough analysis by me. Quench, what do you think?

And in case you haven't read the article yet, here is another choice quote.

It isn't the first time that CWA has targeted Matell. The organization previously went after the toymaker's American Girl doll division, claiming that Girl Inc. promotes abortion and lesbianism to young girls.
Which American Girl Doll is the lesbian? Which one has the abortion? Aren't they all kind of prepubescent? Okay, I admit, I don't know shit about dolls. I mean, I hope that soon you all write about whether the awesome hotwheel cars I played with, or better yet micromachines which had that cool add on TV are screwing with my head.

6 comments:

wannatakethisoutside said...

Also, does anyone know why/if the spokesperson for concerned women of america is a dude?

I'm just curious if there is a backstory.

The Mirrorball Man said...

I'm more interested to know about his story. To say that separating gender roles from sex is part of the homosexual agenda is crazy. With a name like "Concerned Women for America", you'd think they'd be concerned about gender roles and the way in which women are socialized to be wives and housekeepers. And his response is "Uh yeah, women do that." Does this not sound kinda crazy?

emily2 said...

well ken was never anatomically male. he had no gonads to speak of. they should get on ken's case. leave barbie alone.

"ken's an intersexed doll! HELP! HELP! DANGER! DANGER!"

wannatakethisoutside said...

Barbie didn't really have any genitals either. I mean, she doesn't have a penis but doesn't have anything else either. Although she does have boobs.

tea cozy said...

I'm actually quite interested in barbie's lack of genitals. That smooth plastic lump can be really misleading.

Case in point: I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but when I had sex ed in the 7th grade, it was like "here's your vagina, here's his penis, here's how to put a tampon in, end of story." So when I heard of the clitoris, I just assumed that it was inside the vagina, which I think was not an unreasonable assumption on my part, given the information I had to work from. I operated FOR YEARS under the assumption that everything besides the actual vaginal cavity was just an inert plastic lump, so to speak.

The word is bdxwjn, "modern, everyday body confusion."

narcissusfemme said...

interestingly, there was great debate over the size of ken's 'bulge'--designers ultimately went with the middle option of three, finding that the larger one was too intimidating. (maybe the smallest was too girly?) i, for one, painted underwear on my ken dolls.

then again, my best friend and i also staged mud wrestling matches with my barbies, so there you go.