January 13, 2006

And sometimes, coming out is hysterically easy to do.

At icarus's behest, I'd like to share the following coming-out story. SN's changed to protect the shy.

bat dor: Hey, amusing anecdote:

icarus: ooh yay!

bat dor: I just accidentally-on-purpose came out to the kickass Mrs. R who taught me English for 5th, 6th, and 7th grade. She happens to be the cousin of my dad's girlfriend. Yeah. The Jewish community in San Diego, much like the queer community in Boston, is frighteningly incestuous.

bat dor: Anyway. So I went to the school to visit her and the few other teachers I had who still work there. In the course of my conversation with Mrs. R, I happened to mention "my ex-girlfriend." No reaction on her part whatsoever. I thought, "Cool, it's a non-issue." Conversation continued, concluded, she had another class coming in, so I made my excuses and left. Finis, right?

bat dor: I then wandered upstairs to talk to another former teacher. A half hour later, he and I are into a Deep Conversation (like, Meaning of Life deep) when Mrs. R quite literally bursts into his office. She says, breathlessly, "May I steal her for a second?"

icarus: woooow

bat dor: So now we're standing outside a classroom and I have no clue what is going on. She's supposed to be teaching a class, and instead she's out of breath and just dragged me outside and looks really nervous?

bat dor: And then she takes a deep breath and says, "So...earlier...were you trying to....um....tell me....um...something?"

bat dor: I stare at her blankly for a moment, and then it clicks.

bat dor: And I start laughing my ass off.

icarus: LOL
icarus: that is AMAZING
icarus: A-mazing

bat dor: Now hang on, I hadn't answered Mrs. R yet.

bat dor: Urban Outfitters, the last time I was there, was selling these women's t-shirts that say I [rainbow] GIRLS. They're very cute. I got one. And randomly happened to be wearing it that day underneath my sweater.

bat dor: So I said, in between fits of laughter, "Hang on a sec." I turned around, pulled my sweater off, tied it around my waist, turned back around, then said, with a huge grin on my face, "Does this answer your question?"

This was the day before yesterday, folks, and I'm still chuckling about it.

1 comment:

icarus said...

i would like to further point out that it is 6:24 am and i just finished my paper on lesbians and the Pope and Romans 1:24-27. and this story is the only thing that kept me going.