December 15, 2005

women move into another profession in which they are underrepresented

Why are people so surprised that women are committing crime, too, now. Can you believe it?

Investigators working the cases are wondering whether another five or six unsolved auto thefts and robberies might be the handiwork of two women, a rare case in law enforcement.

Sgt. Robert Ruiz of the East Side divisional gang unit has been involved in such investigations for more than 10 years. He said he does not remember the last time he came across a pair of female partners in crime.

"In most crimes committed by females, the females are usually with a male suspect. It's not so much just two females ... like in that movie, Thelma and Louise."

I am so glad that he compared it to a movie. That was really professional. Also, a very realistic movie at that.

But women committing crimes, now this is an interesting piece of news! Thousands of crimes committed each day by mean, but we write an article about gender when women do it, looking at it as some aberration. I don't usually see people talking about crime as a men's issue, even though, statistically, it is. (Granted, some crimes are gendered differently than other crimes.)

What do people think about the language used to describe female criminals?

4 comments:

gromphus said...

Well. I guess we know that cop hasn't yet heard about your mom's and my mom's handiwork.

the spinster said...

Felons and op-ed columnists. Check out this article about how women are just too shy and nice to be columnists at major papers. Then cleanse your palate with this manifesto about why the previous writer is full of shit.

the spinster said...

P.S. To get to page 2 of the article, you have to tell them your gender. *shaking my head*...let's have a round of applause for the folks at The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

maudite entendante said...

So, wait ... All those women at the conference - Helen Thomas, Judy Woodruff, Linda Wertheimer, Dotty Lynch, Trudy Rubin, Susan Page, Sonni Efron - they're all prey to the Curse of Womanhood, right? 'Cause, you know, when I think of Helen Thomas, the first thing I think of is "shy wilting violet."

That said, she has a point in that female writers (and females in general) are encouraged to be opinionless Flowers of Femininity. Hell, I can't tell you the number of times throughout my life that adults have told me, point-blank, to "play dumb so you're not so intimidating" or "stop being such a bitch" or "tone it down some, would you, you don't want to make other people feel bad." (These are all direct quotes, in chronological order from when I was 8 to when I was 19.)

And yeah, it's affected the way I express myself - not to the extent of completely shutting me up (ha!), but certainly making me really nervous to express any very strong opinions in person. And I'm pretty iron-willed in that respect; I can easily imagine people who aren't among the Helen Thomases of the world being completely stifled.


Word of the day: maxfbodw, a little-know Harvard dorm named after Max F. Bodw, the University's only Czech president, who stepped down in protest over the University's 1971 failure to divest from Liechtenstein.