September 10, 2005

Prolegomena to a manifesto

I've been working on a post, or a zine page, or something - not sure what - called "Why I Can't 'Just Pick One'," and it's a longer process than I expected. In the meantime, this is part of it, which was dislodged from my brain by Em's post. For the sake of argument, though, let's talk guys (rather than girls) for a sec.

So, ah - those of you who are attracted to guys? Think about each question before you answer it. Those of you who are attracted to girls, play along. *smile*


Could you love a man who had been born without a spleen?


Could you love a man who had been born without a nipple?


Could you love a man who had been born without a finger?


Could you love a man who had been born without a hand?


Could you love a man who had been born without a leg?


Could you love a man who had been born without a penis?



Oh, come on, tell me I didn't catch you by surprise there. *smile*

What I'm trying to get at is - what is it that you love?

Yes, body parts - their shapes, their sizes, the way they move, the way they fit with yours - are part of attraction, but they're not the only part. And yes, if you end up in bed with someone, the array of body parts they bring with them have something to do with what you're going to be able to do together. But so do things like personal preferences (and the size of your bed or the airplane bathroom).

But do you actually fall in love with a bundle of body parts? You might. And that's ok. But I don't. And that's one part of my answer.

2 comments:

emily0 said...

could you love a woman who had been born with a penis?

maudite entendante said...

Me? No, clearly, I'd be completely unable to. ;cp

That's why I started with men, to keep this slightly more hypothetical. *smile*